Fresh turmeric, ginger and chilli pickle with mustard, fenugreek, fennel and lime. Fresh turmeric has a beautiful orange colour, a very strong flavour and a fragrant and spicy smell. I make it with ginger, chilli, lime and pickling spices. A bit messy to make but totally worth it.
- Knife, chopping board, mixing bowl, small pan, glass jar with lid
- 150 g Fresh turmeric root
- 100 g Fresh ginger root
- 8 hot green rocket chillies or 4 birds eye chillies
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 3 limes, juice of
- 1/2 cup mustard oil use rape seed oil if you dont have this
- 2 tsp Kashmirit chilli powder
- 2 tbsp brown or yellow mustard seed Note: reduce the quantity of mustard, fenugreek and asafoetida to make the pickle less strong.
- 1 tbsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp asafoetida powder
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- Wear gloves. Gently scrape the turmeric to remove the skin. It’s ok if a little bit is left. Cut into 2-3 mm wide and 2-3 cm long batons. Do the same for the ginger. Remove the stalks from the chillies and slice lengthways into similar sized pieces.
- Place the turmeric, ginger and chillies in a mixing bowl and sprinkle the salt on them. Add the lime juice. Stir with a stainless steel spoon to coat them well. Set aside.
- Coarsely grind the mustard, fenugreek and fennel seeds. Mix in the Kashmiri chilli powder and asafoetida powder and set aside.
- Heat the oil until smoking point. Switch the heat off and after 10 seconds put the mustard/fenugreek/chilli/asafoetida mix into the hot oil and stir. Leave this to stand until it cools to room temperature and then mix with the turmeric, ginger and chilli.
- Transfer to a clean jar. Your pickle is ready. This can be stored at room temperature but if any sign of mould appears on the surface, remove and refrigerate the rest.