Fresh turmeric, ginger and chilli pickle with mustard, fenugreek, fennel and lime. Fresh turmeric has a beautiful orange colour, a very strong flavour and a fragrant and spicy smell. I make it with ginger, chilli, lime and pickling spices. A bit messy to make but totally worth it.
- Knife, chopping board, mixing bowl, small pan, glass jar with lid
- 150 g Fresh turmeric root
- 100 g Fresh ginger root
- 8 hot green rocket chillies or 4 birds eye chillies
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 3 limes, juice of
- 1/2 cup mustard oil use rape seed oil if you dont have this
- 2 tsp Kashmirit chilli powder
- 2 tbsp brown or yellow mustard seed Note: reduce the quantity of mustard, fenugreek and asafoetida to make the pickle less strong.
- 1 tbsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp asafoetida powder
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- Wear gloves. Gently scrape the turmeric to remove the skin. It’s ok if a little bit is left. Cut into 2-3 mm wide and 2-3 cm long batons. Do the same for the ginger. Remove the stalks from the chillies and slice lengthways into similar sized pieces.
- Place the turmeric, ginger and chillies in a mixing bowl and sprinkle the salt on them. Add the lime juice. Stir with a stainless steel spoon to coat them well. Set aside.
- Coarsely grind the mustard, fenugreek and fennel seeds. Mix in the Kashmiri chilli powder and asafoetida powder and set aside.
- Heat the oil until smoking point. Switch the heat off and after 10 seconds put the mustard/fenugreek/chilli/asafoetida mix into the hot oil and stir. Leave this to stand until it cools to room temperature and then mix with the turmeric, ginger and chilli.
- Transfer to a clean jar. Your pickle is ready. This can be stored at room temperature but if any sign of mould appears on the surface, remove and refrigerate the rest.
Tried this recipe?I would LOVE to see your creations so click a photo and tag @deccanbtn on Instagram with the hashtag #DeccanTiffin!