I love offal and am really very excited that it is slowly coming back into vogue. Very pleased to have found some fresh chicken livers in the supermarket. A real treat as they are so cheap and so quick to make. Perfect for a high protein Sunday brunch!
Servings 4 people
- One 350-400 g pack of chicken livers frozen are ok too but defrost thoroughly before cooking
- One medium sized red onion finely chopped
- A glug of light olive oil for frying
- 1 tsp red chilli powder; use Kashmiri chilli if you want it mild
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- Salt as per you taste
- Lime slices to garnish
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed frying pan. Fry the onion on high heat until the edges of the pieces start to brown. Turn the heat down and prepare the liver. Separate the lobes of the liver and cut each lobe into 2-3 pieces. Add this to the frying onions and add sprinkle on all the dry spices and salt. Increase the heat again and cook for a further ten minutes, stirring occasionally so that the liver is cooked. Cover and turn the heat down for two minutes. Squeeze half a lime on the liver and serve with more lime slices and salad. Best eaten with naan or chapati but I also like this with toast, as shown in the picture.
Tried this recipe?I would LOVE to see your creations so click a photo and tag @deccanbtn on Instagram with the hashtag #DeccanTiffin!