A light and tasty vegetable dish made of carrots and fresh fenugreek leaves
- Heavy bottomed pan with a well fitting lid
- 250 g Carrots
- 100 g Fenugreek Leaves Equivalent of one bunch. Strip leaves from the tougher stalks before weighing
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil or any cooking oil with a mild flavour
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp hot chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp amchur dried mango powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Peel and cut carrots into batons 2 inches long and 1/2 inch thick. Chop the fenugreek leaves finely, set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil. Add the cumin and let it sizzle. Lower the heat to the lowest setting and add the asafoetida, coriander and cumin powder and stir. Immediately add the turmeric and stir. Immediately after this, add the fenugreek leaves and stir. When they start to crisp a bit after 1-2 minutes, add the carrots, chilli powder and salt. Cover and cook over a medium heat until the carrots are semi cooked. Add the mango powder, second table spoon of oil and cook for another minute until they are al dente. Adjust the salt and chilli level before serving if you would like to add more. Serve as part of an Indian themed meal.