Indian cheese in a spicy spinach base. This punjabi classic is a mouthwatering combination of paneer and spinach. It goes perfectly with fresh hot rotis and can be served as part of an Indian meal. There are some variations on the recipe. Here is a home recipe which is not too heavy and gives a very satisfying result.
- Pressure cooker or Instapot
- 500 g spinach
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 2 large ripe tomatoes chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic and ginger paste
- 2 hot green chillies chopped
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 packs paneer
- chilli powder if required
- garam masala
- 2 dried red chillies
- wash the spinach and place all the ingredients apart from the oil, butter, cumin and red chilli in the pressure cooker/instapot. You can use an ordinary pan as well. It will just take a bit longer. Add half a cup of water and cook until the spinach and tomatoes are wilted.
- While the above is cooking, cut the paneer into cubes. Gently saute in a bit of oil until the cubes are slightly browned. Set aside.
- Blend half of the cooked spinach mixture including all tomatoes to a coarse texture.
- Heat the oil, when hot add the cumin and let this sizzle until it releases its aroma. Add teh dried chillies and fry for a couple of seconds.
- Add the blended and unblended spinach mix to this. Taste it for chilli and salt. Top up the heat with chilli powder if needed. Add a couple of pinches of garam masala. Now add the fried paneer cubes and mix. Serve.